Have a dressed up day!

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Twenty-Five

You wake me before the sun and without a word we remember this our 25th year together.  We promise to make another twenty five and I make you promise to not die and I make you promise that often and we both laugh knowing some promises are out of our control. 

You promise anyway.
 
 

The weekend was so full with family and love and laughter that I'm not exactly sure where to start remembering in this space.  But I'll start with you.  Because all things in my world seem to start and end with you.
 
You're not as young as you used to be.  I haven't seen you take the stairs three at a time in years.  You don't eat as much or stay up as late as you used to.  The older you get the more that little vein under your left eye shows and your beard is nearly white but your hair is still dark.  Searching for your grays seem to make mine so much easier for me to see.
 
Should have made you promise to gray before me.
 
I love you.
 
I need you.
 
I adore you.
 
I want you.
 
I like you.
 
I love you.
 
And like Annie's Song that you let me listen to when I get moody you fill up my senses. 
 
If I close my eyes and the moment is right I can see you looking at me when I walked the aisle toward you all those years before.  I was nervous and you looking at me made me more nervous. 
 
But I still couldn't take my eyes off this gift that was you. 
 
I didn't know then what a gift it was -
 
but I know now.


The sun is now up and you have fallen back asleep.  I watch you sleep and now, twenty-five years later, I can't take my eyes off you. 

I don't want to. 

I don't ever want to.

I go to the living room window and the flowers our children placed in our honor smell strong and beautiful sitting on that table you bought me when we didn't have the money to buy it.



I whisper thank you for all that you are and all that you have given me. 
 
Our children. 
 
My life. 
 
Memories. 
Love.
 
The knowledge that is the honor of knowing that you're not as young as you used to be.  And I don't want you to be.  Because you are here - at this place in your life - and I'm the one beside you.    All these years later. 
 
I love you. 

 

2 comments:

Penny said...

Happy Anniversary! Love you both.

Anonymous said...

Twenty-five years! It's a long time. . . It's been 27 here (even Stephen said 26 at the anniversary celebration), and I agree with you. Growing old isn't as bad as we thought when we were younger, because we are doing with the one we love. Happy Anniversary.

Drawing of me losing my cool courtesy of budding artist, Izzy.


Have a dressed up day!


. . . put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Colossians 3:12