Have a dressed up day!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Teaching A Child to Raise A Child

He runs up behind me and throws his full weight onto my legs, tears streaming and mouth uttering words I can't understand.

Calm down, son.  Tell me what's wrong.

Her won't let me help.

Who?

Her.

Who is her?

Sel-b

I pick him up and walk to the kitchen preparing myself to upset one of my children.  Wonder which one will win out?  I ask myself.

It only takes a suggestion and she wraps her arms around him, sits him on his little red chair that is 46 years old, and wipes every tear with just a bowl of sugar and a spoon.

His own little bowl of sugar to stir and his own little pan to pour it in.

He's all smiles and she learns a way to allow the little one beside you to joy in what is your joy.

She learns a little trouble is worth the trouble and a wait is a reward.

I walk away and look into a day to come to see her face in a little face as she does what she doesn't even know she learned when I taught a child to raise a child.



5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sometimes adults, who still feel like children, need to be reminded of how important it is to make children feel grown up.

Greg and Donna said...

Sweet! Its so easy to just "do things by ourselves" but no one learns that way! And sometimes I still do that because "I can get it done faster". But none of our kids learn anything if Mom or older sister wants to do it all alone! Good post!

Rie said...

Oh Jennifer, I love that!

Penny S. said...

Love the way you covered up Max's underwear there in that picture. Very creative! Thanks again for posting the giveaway for Susan.

KTElltt said...

Wise words from Jennifer!!! It is so funny how much I still think my kiddos can't do and then they surprise me. They just need chances.

Drawing of me losing my cool courtesy of budding artist, Izzy.


Have a dressed up day!


. . . put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Colossians 3:12