Have a dressed up day!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Teaching A Child to Raise A Child

He runs up behind me and throws his full weight onto my legs, tears streaming and mouth uttering words I can't understand.

Calm down, son.  Tell me what's wrong.

Her won't let me help.

Who?

Her.

Who is her?

Sel-b

I pick him up and walk to the kitchen preparing myself to upset one of my children.  Wonder which one will win out?  I ask myself.

It only takes a suggestion and she wraps her arms around him, sits him on his little red chair that is 46 years old, and wipes every tear with just a bowl of sugar and a spoon.

His own little bowl of sugar to stir and his own little pan to pour it in.

He's all smiles and she learns a way to allow the little one beside you to joy in what is your joy.

She learns a little trouble is worth the trouble and a wait is a reward.

I walk away and look into a day to come to see her face in a little face as she does what she doesn't even know she learned when I taught a child to raise a child.



Drawing of me losing my cool courtesy of budding artist, Izzy.


Have a dressed up day!


. . . put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Colossians 3:12