Have a dressed up day!

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

When will I learn to listen?

Last night while sitting on the sofa watching TV, which was my first mistake, I got one of those gut feelings you get, out of nowhere, that tells you to do something.  My second mistake was being too lazy to get up and do it.  It seemed like such a trifle thing, didn't even make sense to me to do it.  So ... I ignored the little persistant booger till it went away.

Today I found myself in a situation where my pride was more than a little scraped (He's Too Good To Me had to tell me how to spell that, instead of scrapped. He did it with a little phonics lesson, vowels and such.  I think I will change his name now).  This happened because I failed to follow my gut last night.  Mind you, it really did not make sense then, I could see no purpose in it, and, above all else, I did not WANT to do it.

Should have done it.

While chewing on this today and trying to figure out how to kick my own self in the hiney (used to could do it, not such a pretty sight now) I thought of something our pastor preached on recently.  Jesus did not WANT to die on the cross.  The Word tell us in Matthew 26 that Jesus prayed three times asking God if there was another way than the cross.  The Message  says, "He plunged into an agonizing sorrow".  Though He was eager and willing to do whatever His Father required of Him to save His children, the human in Him could not help but fear the pain that would come from that type of death.

When Jesus was assured there was no other way, He returned to His disciples and told them the hour was at hand. He became our salvation and the only way to our Father God.

When you become a Christian you receive a truly wonderful gift - the Holy Spirit. Now, I'm not sure if last night's prompting was from the Holy Spirit or not, the only one hurt by me ignoring the feeling was myself, and then it was only my pride.  I know it was the wisdom in me that comes with age (I can't believe I just said that) urging me to be smart, and had I listened, I would have been just that - smart.

Oh, but with sadness how I must admit my failure in leaning my ears and my heart into the quiet still voice of my God. When He speaks I must listen. In order to do that I must seek Him out, He does not move, I do.

Thank you, Jesus, for doing what you chose to do. Please give me strength to do what I must.

Jesus answered and said, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word, and My Father will love him, and We will come to him, and make Our abode with him."   John 14:23 


holy experience
Drawing of me losing my cool courtesy of budding artist, Izzy.


Have a dressed up day!


. . . put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Colossians 3:12