Have a dressed up day!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Father Knows Best

Get a homeschooling mom started and she can talk  (ramble, converse, discuss, chat, argue) for days about what she enjoys about schooling her children.

I enjoy saying, "Yes."  "Yes," to going outside to do schoolwork.  "Sure," to baking cookies right now.  "Okey dokey," to staying in our 'jammies all day.  "Yeah," to more science today and less math.  "Alright," to quitting for the day - early.

Today Isabela dropped a bomb of a question.

"Mama, it says to underline.  Can I circle, instead?"

Such freedom, I'm not sure what to do with it.

There are many times I answer "No," also.   "No," to going outside to do schoolwork.  "Nope," to baking cookies right now.  "Are you crazy?" to staying in our 'jammies all day.  "Not today," to more science today and less math.  "Shut 'yo mouth," to quitting for the day - early.

Consistency is the key to truly great parenting.

When I say yes to my children it is because, at that moment, I feel confident that saying yes will bring no harm to them.  Quite the opposite, that an answer of yes will bring good or joy to them.

When I say no they can be assured that I have their best interest at heart and that my wisdom surpasses theirs; that saying no will bring good to them - eventually.

This is the way it is with our Father God.  The pain and confusion that we feel when He says no can be lightened by the faith and confidence we have in knowing He sees all, knows what is best, and would never harm His children.

Jeremiah 29:11 says,
“For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord,
thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and NOT FOR EVIL,
to give you hope in your final outcome.”

Contentment and joy is not a gift.  It is a choice we make.  According to Ephesians 3:20, our Father is "able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think."  No matter what the answer, see the glass as half full, appreciate both the water and the air, and try to find the ray of light.
 
 



Drawing of me losing my cool courtesy of budding artist, Izzy.


Have a dressed up day!


. . . put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Colossians 3:12