Have a dressed up day!

Monday, July 19, 2010

One Thousand Gifts . . .

The summer storm rolls in with a wind that breaks the branch.  There will be clean-up, but for now the slight drop in temperature brings a smile that surpasses the dread.

The power flickers and I glance at her face, knowing what is coming. 

Her eyes are round, her smile big.

Do you think the power will go out, Mama?  Oh, I hope so.

Anticipation and excitement.

Candles and oil lamps and board games.

Her sisters felt it, my sisters and I felt it.  I sometimes now feel it.

The dream of living in another time and place.

My list continues . . .

electricity

indoor plumbing

cell phones

computers

crock pot

washing machine

central air

cable and choices

dishwasher

But with all of this knowledge and convenience did we lose something?

Did we leave something behind?

Do we neglect?

My list continues . . .

board games

reading out loud

tent-making

early to bed

early to rise

rocking babies

I Spy

walks in the park

evening baths

cloud watching

naps

tickles

magic shows

legos

My list, #129-151.



holy experience
Drawing of me losing my cool courtesy of budding artist, Izzy.


Have a dressed up day!


. . . put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Colossians 3:12